Welcome to the Elmira Community Nursery School
We are thrilled to welcome you to our community and an exciting school year ahead!
As part of the Elmira Community Nursery School your family has the unique opportunity to be a part of your child’s first school experience! You can join us in class as a classroom parent, connect with other families in the community through events and committees and even help make important decisions that guide our school by joining our Board of Directors. The Elmira Community Nursery School has been operating in Elmira for over 40 years.
Our Nursery School follows the HighScope Curriculum which is grounded in early years research. Children learn about their world through play. Through purposeful programming that inspires play, children gain important foundations in a number of skills such as: social-emotional, pre-reading, and pre-writing skills. Children also learn from one another by observing and interacting which fosters social relationships with their peers while encouraging appropriate developmental goals such as sharing, turn taking, and problem solving.
Our program also aligns with the Ontario Kindergarten Program which gives children an early foundation and introduction to the expectations and routines they will follow in their future education. Igniting children’s imagination and creativity is the core principle of the Elmira Community Nursery School. Our Nursery School provides an engaging and warm environment where children feel safe to learn and grow.
Morning Programs Available (September 2021 to June 2022)
|Program||Day & Time||Age||Monthly Tuition
|Toddler||Wednesday & Friday
|18 months to
|Preschool||Tuesday & Thursday
|2.5 years to
Reduced Tuition for Classroom Families as they offset the cost of additional staff. Fee reduction of 5% for Board Members.
What does it mean to Belong to a Cooperative Nursery School?
Elmira Community Nursery School is a cooperative not-for-profit organization that relies and depends on the participation and sharing of responsibilities by ALL MEMBERS. As a parent, you are a member of the school.
As a family, you are encouraged to support the school. Your family has the option to participate in the classroom or outside of the classroom. While we would love to have all parents involved directly in the classroom, we recognize this is not always possible. Not to worry as there are many other ways for you to support our school. There are several options to consider from being on the Executive Board of Directors, stepping up your fundraising game, securing a sponsorship, or providing support based on other expertise. You may have a talent to share with the children or the Board to help run the school.
Your decision to become involved with such a program will require time and dedication. Please make sure that you understand your role as a cooperative nursery school parent. If in doubt, please ask.
A few descriptions that clarify what it means to belong to a Cooperative:
|Executive Board of Directors||
|Event Committees||Parents/Guardians run a number of events each year for children and their families. Here are a few examples of events that we run in a typical year:
The Elmira Maple Syrup Festival donates money to our school. Parents/Guardians support the Festival by volunteering for a time slot to sell tickets to the sugarbush on the day of the Festival.
|Fundraising Committees||We hold approximately six fundraisers each year. As part of a Fundraising Committee you would assist in facilitating a fundraiser by organizing and supervising. Here are some examples of our past fundraisers:
Tuition & Fees
Families may choose to pay by cheque or e-transfer in the following ways.
|Payment Type||Payment Options|
- A $50 non-refundable registration fee* is due at the time of registration.
- A minimum number of students must be met to run classes.
Committee & Participation Deposit Cheques/E-Transfer:
- Two deposits of $70 due with initial tuition payment on August 25, 2021
- As part of a Cooperative School parents or family members need to participate. If you do not participate in your assigned committee/fundraiser; or do not show up when scheduled to participate in the classroom (and alternative arrangements have not been made), one of your deposit cheques will be cashed. If you are present for committees/fundraisers and classroom participation days, your cheques will be shredded unless you request otherwise.
- A deposit of $100 due with the initial tuition payment on August 25, 2021
NSF or Late Tuition:
- NSF cheques and late tuition are subject to a $20 fee
- If for any reason there is a concern about payments please contact the ECNS Treasurer at email@example.com
Elmira Community Nursery School is continually looking for local businesses and community members to sponsor our school. Sponsorship helps our ECNS community thrive through maintaining high quality programming and keeping tuition rates affordable. We have three different levels of yearly sponsorship starting at $100. We also accept direct donations such as monetary, supply, gift cards, products, coupons, vouchers, services, classes/instructions. We appreciate the assistance of families in sharing this package with our community. Please request your copy today!
Before School Starts
Orientation/Policies & Procedures and Parent Handbook
- All families are required to read our Policies & Procedures Manual as well as our Parent Handbook. You can access these documents on our website under “Login”. The password is 2609. Please note that the updated Fall 2021 files are not there yet!
- There is a mandatory orientation that takes place before school starts. During the orientation, all parents/guardians will discuss the policies & procedures, licensing requirements, fire drills and any special medical needs of students in the classroom.
- There will also be time to meet our educator Ms. Amy, see the classroom, discuss your child and get information for the upcoming school year.
Holidays for the School Year of September 2021-June 2022
- Winter Break – December 24 to January 7
- Spring Break – March 14-18
- Good Friday – April 15